21 National Convention
August 27 – September 2, 2021
The annual National Convention is the governing body of The American Legion. Each of the Legion’s 55 departments – the 50 states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, France, Mexico and Philippines – is entitled to a minimum of five voting delegates to the national convention. A department is granted one extra delegate, a member in good standing, for each 1,000 members (or major fraction thereof) 30 days before the convention.
Delegates and Alternates for the Department of Iowa are selected at the Spring District Conferences and ratified at the annual Department Convention. If you are interested in attending the National Convention, please contact your District Commander. If you are not elected as a Delegate or Alternate at the Spring District Conference, you may still attend the Natioanl Convention as a Guest.
Registration for Delegates, Alternates, and Guests to the National Convention is $25. Registration forms are available at District Spring Conferences or can be downloaded below.
All room reservations must be made through The American Legion, Department of Iowa. Forms are available at District Spring Conferences or can be downloaded below.
National Convention Updates
- Iowa Party – The Form Instructions initially and incorrectly reported the Iowa Party would be held at Post #1. The Iowa Party will be held at Post #41, 715 S 2nd Ave, Phoenix, AZ.
- Schedule of Events – A tentative Schedule of Events for the American Legion is now available. This could and probably will change. Event locations will be disseminated on/after August 2.
- COVID-19 Restrictions have been relaxed at the Phoenix Convention Center as of June 22. Please note that these restrictions apply to the Convention Center only. These restrictions and mandates could change before our convention in August.
- Face Covering/Mask: Fully vaccinated people do not have to wear a face covering/mask. Enforcement will be on the honor system. Airlines still require face covering/mask as well as other transportation sources.
- Physical Distancing is not required in leased spaces. Physical Distancing but must be observed in all common areas of the Phoenix Convention Center: hallways, foyers, food court, etc., that are not leased space to The American Legion.
- There will be no on-site temperature checks or health screenings now at the Phoenix Convention Center. It is still the responsibility of the attendee to adhere to the waiver agreement and protocols.
- COVID-19 Statement of Understanding and Agreement must be signed by all convention attendees. We will have these available at the Department of Iowa registration or you may bring the form with you.
- Guests are Welcome – Our convention is no longer a member only event. Everyone can now attend, as in the past.
- Pre-register – Convention walk-ins will not be permitted this year. All attendees must register in advance with the Department.
- Convention Parade has been cancelled.
- Band Contest has been cancelled.
- ANAVICUS Breakfast has been cancelled and replaced with an invitation only reception for new inductees.
Forms and Instructions: Delegate, Alternate, & Guest Registration is now closed.
- General Information (PDF)
- Form Instructions (PDF)
- Form 1 TAL (PDF)
- American Legion Delegate/Alternate/Guest Registration
- Sons of The American Legion Delegate/Alternate/Guest Registration
- Iowa Party Tickets
- National Commander’s Banquet Tickets
- Hotel Reservations
- Form 2 ALA (PDF)
- Auxiliary Delegate/Alternate/Guest Registration
- Auxiliary Woman of the Year Luncheon Tickets
- States Dinner Tickets
- Parade Shirt Order Form (PDF)
- COVID-19 Statement of Understanding and Agreement (PDF)
Special Event Registration:
- National Historians Luncheon (PDF)
- Saturday, August 28
- 11:30 am – 1:30 pm
- American Legion Family Night at Chase Field (PDF)
- Monday, August 30, 6:40 pm
- San Diego Padres vs Arizona Diamondbacks
- Order tickets in Department of Iowa ticket block
- Tickets may be picked up at Iowa registration at National Convention
- $29.00 per ticket, payable by check or cash at registration
- Click here to order tickets before July 30
- Order your own tickets
- $22.00 or $29.00
- Tickets available on first come, first served basis
- See flyer for details
- Appointment of Assistant Sergeants-at-Arms
- Each year, approximately 100 Legionnaires attending the National Convention act as Assistant Sergeants-at-Arms during the convention sessions. The National Commander desires that each department be represented among this group.
- The convention budget makes no provision for payment of any expense in connection with this assignment. Those selected must attend an instructional meeting conducted by the National Sergeant-at-Arms. This meeting will be held on Monday, August 30, 2021, at 8:00 a.m. in the Phoenix Convention Center.
- A letter of appointment from the National Commander will be sent to each Legionnaire selected.
- Legionnaires interested in being recommended for this assignment should complete the online form no later than Monday, July 26.
- Phoenix Convention Center Floorplans (PDF)
- Hyatt Regency Phoenix Floorplans (PDF)
- Department of Iowa Hotel
- Auxiliary National Headquarters Hotel
- Sheraton Phoenix Floorplans (PDF)
- American Legion National Headquarters Hotel
- Phoenix Hotel Map (PDF)
Additional resources may be found at: