Veterans Day at the Capitol – January 18, 2023
8:30 American Legion Briefing – Department Headquarters
- Shuttle transportation will be provided to and from capitol
9:00 Visit vendor tables – Capitol Rotunda – First Floor
10:00 Veterans Day Program – Capitol Rotunda – First Floor
10:30 Locate your elected officials to discuss legislative initiatives
The American Legion Legislative Priorities
View the event live online at the Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs Facebook page at the address below.
IDVA Facebook Page
Please note that you do not need a Facebook account to view the event at the link above.
Please contact your Senators and Representatives to discuss our priorities. Contact information for your legislator can be found at:
The American Legion’s Legislative Program
The American Legion maintains a fully staffed office in Washington, DC to represent veterans in Congress on all legislation concerning veterans and their families. Additionally, the Department of Iowa has a Legislative Commission to serve as a “watchdog” on all legislation, Federal and State, that affects veterans or The American Legion mandates and programs.
Visit the Grassroots Action Center: https://www.votervoice.net/AmericanLegion/home
- Sign up for legislative alerts
- Find legislation
- Find & contact your elected officials
State of Iowa Legislation
For Contact Information for your elected representatives: http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/find.aspx
Track Legislation in the Iowa General Assembly: http://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislation/BillTracking/billTrackingTools.aspx
MEMBERS OF COMMISSION AND APPOINTMENT PROCEDURE
The Commission shall have four (4) members, a Chairman and three (3) Members. The Chairman shall be appointed annually by the Department Commander and shall serve from time of appointment until the close of the following Department Convention. The Members shall be appointed by the Department Commander. The terms of the Members of the Commission shall be staggered, and each new appointment shall be for a term of three (3) years. The Department Commander shall appoint annually a representative or firm to serve as the Legislative Representative (lobbyist) to the Iowa General Assembly.
The Legislative Commission shall: recommend the representative or firm to serve as Legislative Representative to the Iowa General Assembly; prepare and implement bills as required by Department Convention or Department Executive Committee action; and serve as a “watchdog” on all legislation, Federal and State, which affects veterans or The American Legion mandates and program. The Commission will plan the annual Legislative Day at the State Capitol.
- Department Convention: The Chairman shall be authorized for two (2) days for the purposes of conducting the Legislative Commission meeting and to report to the Department Convention. The Members and Department Commander’s Representative shall be authorized for one (1) day each for the purpose of attending the Legislative Commission meeting.
- Mid Winter Conference: The Chairman shall be authorized for two (2) days for the purposes of conducting the Legislative Commission meeting and reporting to the Department Executive Committee. The Members and the Department Commander’s Representative shall be authorized for one (1) day each for the purpose of attending the Legislative Commission meeting. The Commission shall also be responsible for operating an informational table at the Programs Fair.
- Legislative Day: Members are authorized at mileage only.
- In the event that additional meetings are required, Department Commander may so authorize said meeting upon the petition of the Chairman at mileage only.
OTHER AUTHORIZATION AND/OR DIRECTIONS
The Chairman is required to provide a report of the Commission’s activities to the Fall, Mid-Winter, and Spring Department Executive Committee meetings and annually to the Department Convention. The Chairman shall annually submit a proposed Commission budget to the Finance Commission before the Spring DEC meeting.
For more detailed information on The American Legion of Iowa Commissions and Committees, visit the links below: